Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Module 6, The Ghost-Eye Tree


#1 Bibliographic Information

Martin, Bill and Archambault, John (1985). The ghost-eye tree. New York: Henry Holt.

#2 Summary

Ghost-eye Tree follows a boy and his sister through their scary journey through the woods and past the ghost-eye tree to get a bucket of milk for their mother.  The ghost-eye tree is an old oak tree that looks especially spooky in the dark, when the moon shines through the twisted branches.  The children make it to the dairy safely, but on their way back, imagination takes over, and they make a mad dash for home, spilling most of the milk on the way.  At the end, the boy declares that now, "I'm never around when
mama wants milk from the end of the town."

#3 Reaction

I have to say, I was not overwhelmed by this story. However, I did enjoy the cadence of the story's text, as well as its magnificent illustrations and the bickering brother/sister relationship. Because of these elements, plus the book's display of imagination and what would probably be considered spooky for a young reader, I think Ghost-eye Tree would make a fun read-aloud story.

#4 Reviews for The Ghost-Eye Tree
Review #1

--McGrath, Joan (1986). The ghost-eye tree (book review). School Library Journal 32(6), 76.

Review #2 
A delightfully alarming story poem about a dark and windy night when a boy and his sister are sent on an errand and must pass a certain tree that moans and reaches out its arms, freezing their hearts with fear. Strong, exciting illustrations make it all real. The poem would be especially good read aloud.
--McNulty, Faith (1985). The ghost-eye tree (book). The New Yorker 61(41), 145.

#5 Suggestions

I agree with the above review that this book would be especially fun for a storytime. Especially one with a "spooky" or Halloween theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment