#2 Bibliographic Information
Fleming, Candace (2008). The Lincolns: a scrapbook look at Abraham and Mary. New York:
Schwartz & Wade Books.
#2 Summary
This exhaustive biography of the Lincolns begins with stories of Lincoln's parents, before they met, covers the childhoods and young adulthoods of both Lincoln and Mary Todd, their marriage, Lincoln's political career, the births and deaths of their children and of course the war and Lincoln's death. The biography ends with Mary Todd Lincoln's death in 1882. The pages are filled, in newspaper style, with abundant text and numerous photographs, drawings, and documents of or related to the Lincoln's life.
#3 Reaction
This is an amazing biography. I have read several Lincoln biographies, but none of them brought out the character in his and Mary Todd's nature, or the facts of their lives, like this one does. Meticulously researched, the documents that appear in this biography, including Lincoln's published "Suicide Poem" which he wrote after breaking his first engagement with Mary, are incredibly fascinating. This is the kind of book that one could pore over for hours again and again. One question I have is why this is determined to be a biography for youth. I have absolutely no doubt that it is suitable for youth, and easy enough to read, but nothing in its language specifically defines itself as a youth biography, and it is so comprehensive, well-researched and well-written that it could definitely find a place on any adult's bookshelf.
#4 Reviews for The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary
Review #1
The Lincolns was five years in the making and it shows. Candace Fleming's book exudes an easy familiarity with Abraham and Mary's lives and times due to her choices of telling details and the merry pleasure of its design. "The scrapbooktechnique…remains fresh and lively," wrote Kirkus, "a great way to provide a huge amount of information in a format that invites both browsing and in-depth study." The sweep of graphic material is impressive and beguiling--photographs, engravings, documents, posters--while antique typefaces lend a period quality to the proceedings, which extend to Mary's death. Fleming's comfort with the material comes from more than pure research. "This summer I returned to central Illinois and my hometown fair," she says. "As I strolled along the midway, I glanced down, and there lay a stone marker, reading 'The spot where Lincoln debated Douglas, September 18, 1858.' I grinned. As a child, I played in his parents' log cabin, slept in his bedroom and lived in a house on the Lincoln Heritage trail. Mr. Lincoln had simply been a natural part of my everyday life. So, I wasn't surprised to bump into him at the fair. I was, however, delighted. I felt as if I'd just run into an old friend."--The Lincolns: a scrapbook look at Abraham and Mary. Kirkus Reviews, 76(23), 6.
Review #2
Gr 6 Up --What did this backwoods boy and this bluegrass girl have in common? Using her signature scrapbookapproach, Fleming lays out the answer in a biography that gives equal emphasis to Abraham and Mary Lincoln for an insightful portrait of their lives. Her scholarship over five years pays off with a rich account that is personal and concrete.She recounts Mary's early life as a privileged-but motherless-child, her ambitions for her husband, and her role as "first lady" (a term originally coined for her). Large and small details are juxtaposed with specifics about Lincoln and broadened by Mary's significance. For example, a political decision was made regarding her attendance at the debates; Lincolnwanted to preserve his "common man" image rather than show off his refined and educated wife. Unlike most biographies, which conclude with Lincoln's death, this one follows Mary's story to the end, detailing Robert Todd's role in her commitment to an insane asylum, Tad's death, and her own demise. Presented in period typefaces, the boxed bits of text, sidebars, and numerous running heads and subheads add detail. From portraits to pets, the book contains a wide variety of graphics, including written and visual primary documents that enrich every spread. Notes, resources, and source notes are exemplary. It's hard to imagine a more engaging or well-told biography of the Lincolns.--Thompson, Janet (2008). The Lincolns: a scrapbook look at Abraham and Mary. School Library Journal, 54(10), 168.
#5 Suggestions for Library Use
Because of its magnificent presentation of photos and text (its set in an original 1800s newspaper type), this would be a great book display candidate. I've also seen some libraries with TV screens on the wall in the teen sections, and scanning images from this book, with captions, and scrolling them on the screen would definitely draw attention. Or it could be a full-out book trailer that plays every hour or so. Also, if it were a book trailer, it could easily be posted on the library's facebook wall.

No comments:
Post a Comment